29 – 31 August 2019
Join us for the BAAL Conference 2019: Broadening the Horizons of Applied Linguistics, and experience a series of plenary talks from academics across the UK in the field of Applied Linguistics.
Web link: https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/education/baal/
Tweet us @baal2019 and use the hashtag #baal2019 to join the conversation.
Why Broadening the Horizons of Applied Linguistics?
Our theme, Broadening the Horizons of Applied Linguistics, takes as its premise that applied linguistics underpins a vast range of disciplines. In 2019, we intend to encourage exploration of the role that applied linguistics plays in many walks of life.
We hope the conference theme will encourage proposals from a wide range of disciplines and that this in turn will encourage cross-disciplinary dissemination of ideas and research.
Our Local Organising Committee is drawn from different faculties and departments across the university, the School of Teacher Education and Professional Development and the School of Childhood, Youth and Educational Studies, both within the Faculty of Education, the Department of Languages, Information and Communications within the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, and the Faculty of Health, Psychology and Social Care.
Where will BAAL 2019 be held?
The BAAL 2019 conference is hosted by the Faculty of Education, located in the Brooks Building in the centre of Manchester.
Manchester is a vibrant, lively city which not only has a rich industrial heritage but is also home to an exciting and varied cultural life.
Manchester is only two hours from London by train, and in easy reach of Liverpool, Chester, North Wales and the Lake District, the Peak District and Yorkshire. The campus is easily accessible by car and rail. The University is a 20-minute walk or a short taxi ride from the train station. There is a direct train from Manchester Airport.
Please click each activity item for more details:
- IC SIG Seminar: Intercultural communicative competence – impact, influence and theoretical developments (14-15/05/2015, University of Sheffield)
- IC SIG Seminar: Language Teaching and Language Learning (22-23/05/2014, The University of Edinburgh)
- IC SIG Seminar: Intercultural Communication in Higher Education – principles and practices (16-17/05/2013, The University of Newcastle upon Tyne)
- IC SIG Seminar: Intercultural Communication in International Contexts – training and development, practice and research (17-18/05/2012, The Open University)
- IC SIG Track at BAAL 2011 (29-31/08/2011)
- Joint Conference 2011: Language, Identity and Intercultural Communication (09-10/06/2011, Birkberk College, University of London)
- Colloquium at BAAL 2010: Applied Linguistics in Intercultural Communication (10/09/2010)
- Inaugural Seminar: Key Issues in Intercultural Communication Research and Pedagogy (27-28/05/2010, Nottingham Trent University)
- BAAL/CUP Seminar: Key Themes in Intercultural Communication Pedagogy (09-10/07/2009, University of Sheffield)